An informative essay gives the reader deep insights into a topic. To create such written work, you should know a lot about its subject and be able to express your thoughts clearly and in an organized manner.
If, at first sight, the topic seems extremely voluminous and challenging to you, you might wonder how to write an informative essay efficiently. From our extensive experience, it is best to divide the writing process into stages. With such an approach, you can not only write an excellent essay but also enjoy the process! Read on for more information about this technique and other practical writing tips.
Step 1: How to Write an Informative Essay Outline from Scratch
An essay outline allows you to visualize the work’s structure before starting to create its draft. The plan should briefly convey the intended content of the essay and provide a logical organization of the information.
The skill of creating an essay outline is vital for students, as sometimes it is required to present the plan before having permission to start performing the writing task itself. Here are the guidelines you can use to create a perfect essay outline:
- Make sure you understand the task. For better understanding, highlight the critical words and phrases of the assignment. Make sure that you know all the requirements before starting work on the plan.
- Decide on the topic and goal of your work. Think about what you want to tell the reader and how you want to do it. What do you want to achieve through your work? If you want to learn how to write an informative essay outline, remember that it is crucial to make sure that your goal is consistent with the task. Pay attention to the keywords you highlighted in the assignment to help you determine the purpose of the essay.
- Formulate the thesis statement. An effective thesis is a sentence that opens up the main topic of your work. Make sure your thesis statement is not a definite fact or your personal preference. The idea of the thesis is for you to be able to challenge and prove your opinion about it. We will explain more on how to write a thesis for an informative essay further.
Keep in mind that since your essay outline has a goal of systematizing your work process, it should also follow a strict structure.
Step 2: How to Write a Thesis for an Informative Essay Efficiently
The thesis is the essay’s main idea expressed in a single statement. Your thesis should be consistent with the topic of the work. To put it simply, if the reader asked: “What is the main idea of this text?”, the thesis statement would be the answer.
It is essential to remember that a thesis doesn’t have to be a fact, but rather a statement that provokes discussion. As an author, you will have to express your opinion about it and prove why you think so.
Here are some common mistakes that you should avoid when writing a thesis statement for an essay:
- A thesis in the form of a question. When learning how to write an informative essay, keep in mind that a thesis statement should be specific. If the central message of the work is a question, it doesn’t help the reader understand the author’s opinion.
- Large volume. The thesis should be informative and thought-provoking, and yet it shouldn’t be too verbose. Avoid making the thesis statement long. Instead, aim for a sentence that is easy to read and concise.
- Cliches. We have mentioned the thesis already on the stage of how to write an informative essay outline because it’s a significant part of your essay’s success. If you aim for the top score, make sure that the statement you make is original, powerful, and memorable for the reader.
Step 3: How to Write an Introduction to an Informative Essay That Stands Out
The task of the introduction is to capture the attention of the reader. An excellent practice is to include a “hook” into the beginning of your essay. It can be a provocative question, a paradox, contradiction, metaphor – the list goes on. Essentially, a hook is something that will intrigue the reader so that he cannot refrain from reading the rest of the text.
The main mistakes that students learning how to write an informative essay encounter in the introduction are:
- An overstuffed introduction. You can start your essay with anything, whether it is a fact, a quote, a question, or a case from life. However, whatever you choose, the introduction should be clear, concise, and directly related to the essay’s topic. For example, don’t cover the whole history of an event from the beginning of time or slowly bring the reader from general to particular details.
- Overused phrases. When deciding to use a quote or a joke in the introduction, think twice. If the expression is too well-known, your essay may end up being one of a dozen starting similarly.
- Dry writing style. Remember, your task is to attract and retain the reader’s attention throughout the text. If the introduction consists of a dry statement of facts, the reader is unlikely to proceed reading the rest of the essay.
- Inconsistency. Make sure that there is a clear connection of thoughts and facts you use in the introduction with the main theme and thesis statement. Keep in mind the tips on how to write an informative essay outline not to clutter up the introduction with unnecessary information.
Step 4: How to Write Persuasive Arguments for Your Thesis
Now that you know how to create the written work’s outline, how to write a thesis for an informative essay, and how to make an engaging introduction, it’s time to demonstrate your opinion and prove it to the reader.
In other words, you have come to the stage of creating the work’s main body, where you have to share arguments for your thesis. When writing down the arguments, avoid the following mistakes:
- Reiteration. Do not develop the same idea in two paragraphs. Every new section of the text’s main body should contain a new argument.
- Excessive information. Make sure that all arguments have a direct relation to the topic. Unrelated facts distract the reader and make your essay lose points on content informativeness.
- Disconnected sections. Keep the structure of your essay well-organized by linking paragraphs to each other. Avoid finishing a section of the essay without a sentence or two that would lead the reader to the next part of your work, as it weakens the text’s integrity.
Theoretically speaking, the number of arguments you can use in the essay is unlimited. However, be mindful of the word limit of your task, as you still have to learn how to write a conclusion for an informative essay after the arguments section. The golden standard is typically two or three points to support your opinion. With such an amount of arguments, you will be able not to overload your text and keep it informative and engaging.
Step 5: How to Write a Conclusion for an Informative Essay Skillfully
The essay’s conclusion should be based on the facts and arguments you presented in the central part of the work.
When learning how to write an informative essay, remember that the essay’s conclusion should not contain new facts, but rather the generalizations of the previously mentioned ones. Besides, keep in mind that the final part of the text should be consistent with the previous elements in style, tone, and sense.
There are several ways how to write a conclusion for an informative essay that will stand out:
- Rhetorical question
- Call to action
All in all, every part of the essay is significant for the final score, as the integrity of the work matters. Thus, we strongly suggest not to prioritize, for example, tips on how to write a thesis for an informative essay over the text’s arguments.
If you realize that you do not have enough time to dedicate to writing an excellent essay, read on for our tips that will help you find a solution.
Tips on How to Write an Informative Essay Fast
Reading through long explanations of how to write a conclusion for an informative essay or what to put into the arguments section can be frustrating. After all, with the current pace of life, not many people have enough time to thoroughly research a subject and focus on implementing the results into work. It is especially challenging when you have tight deadlines.
We know how it feels! That’s why our essay writing service is here to help you with any written work you need to submit. We will help you meet deadlines and receive high praise from peers. Contact us now for fast and risk-free assistance in your academic endeavors!