A scholarship essay is a text written with the aim of receiving a study grant from a college or a university. It is rather challenging to get a scholarship, as the student is likely to face tough competition due to a large number of candidates. To apply for study funding, you need, along with many other documents, an essay explaining who you are, why you need a scholarship, what your plans for the future are, and why specifically you are worth receiving the funding.
As a milestone of the study grant application process, an essay gives the applicants an opportunity to demonstrate their strengths, abilities, and personal qualities. Well-written work can be decisive for the applicant during the selection process. That is why it is crucial to know all the peculiarities that the process of writing a scholarship essay entails. In this guide, you will find out everything you need to know about writing a text that will land you a scholarship.
Tips on How to Start a Scholarship Essay Correctly
When you receive the assignment, make sure you understand it correctly. Read all the requirements given by the committee and keep them in mind throughout the working process.
Start writing your work in advance. It is always better to start as early as possible because then you will have time to devote the maximum of your attention and efforts to the task.
Besides, before starting to write the text of an essay, it is a good idea to create an outline with all the points to consider. Listing the key essay parts will allow you to stay organised and not miss any important detail.
The outline that you create for your scholarship essay should follow a standard structure:
- Introduction – where you state why you are writing an essay
- Body – the main part of the essay where you support your statements with arguments
- Conclusion – a summary of your written work and the final verdict on the topic
This structure applies to most types of written academic work. However, with scholarship essays, compiling with it and answering questions, or stating raw facts about yourself is not enough.
Since the number of scholarships is limited, and there are many applicants, it is crucial that the scholarship committee notices your application among the rest. But how to write a scholarship essay that stands out?
Ideas of What You Could Write in a Scholarship Essay to Make it Stand Out
You can’t answer the question of how to write a scholarship essay that will be unique in the eyes of the committee in a few sentences. Since your task is to convince the peers that you are the perfect candidate for the investment of funds into your education, every small detail counts.
An essay is your chance to express yourself. You should consider these factors:
- Make It Personal
There is no formula for a perfect essay, as there are no correct answers to the essay questions. However, if you think about it, what would you rather read and remember: a plain reply or an informative personal text?
Creating an engaging, concise story written in a vibrant, dynamic language is what writing a scholarship essay that will be effective entails. The notion here is not to overdo it: avoid verbosity and excessive floridness in the text.
When stating your motivation for receiving study funding, make it personal. You have to show the admissions committee members that you need the grant and explain why in a way that no one else will. Telling a brief story or adding an appropriate joke can make your essay stand out among others.
- Memorable Introduction
It is essential to catch the reader’s attention right from the beginning of the text. When writing a scholarship essay, brighten up the introduction with some original statement or fact from life. Remember that the introduction should also include a clear and concise thesis statement.
Here are some of the written tricks, also known as “hooks,” that you can use to make your writing stand out:
- Rhetorical question
- Story from personal experience
- Knowledge of the Study Field
You don’t have to fill your scholarship essay with facts and numbers. However, your writing style, structure, and expressiveness should demonstrate your level of academic knowledge.
An excellent way to show your awareness about the field your essay is focusing on is by using specialised terms describing your achievements in a specific sphere.
- Flawless Structure and Formatting
Even though following a standard structure is a common requirement for scholarship essays, many students do not pay due attention to it. Structural or formatting mistakes lead to lower points during the essay’s evaluation. Here is what you should pay attention to when creating your scholarship essay:
- Requirements of a specific educational institution. You can find the exact instructions on the official website of the selected university or college.
- Logic and sequence of narration. If you are wondering how to write a scholarship essay that the committee members would like to read to the end, one of your primary concerns should be making it easy to read. You can achieve this by following the outline you have created and ensuring that each part of the text has a smooth transition to the other.
- Ease of presentation. Divide the text into small paragraphs; avoid long ornate expressions and complex sentences to prevent the reader’s confusion. The speech should be understandable and simple, although it is acceptable (and even encouraged) to use specialised terms, provided that you know their definitions well.
- Compliance with formatting requirements. Each educational institution defines specific scholarship essay requirements. For example, “provide an essay consisting of 500-600 words with single spacing between lines.” If your essay has 850 words with double line spacing, the committee will not accept your submission.
- Powerful Conclusions
In the conclusion section, you should summarise what you have written and once again express your hope for receiving the scholarship.
Excellent scholarship essays strive to prove that it is essential to invest in the candidate’s education. Emphasise that financial support for your further studies will be beneficial to both the educational institution and the society.
How to Prepare for Writing a Scholarship Essay Efficiently?
When reading about how to write a scholarship essay, you have probably realised that it is not an easy process. It takes time, preparation, and skill to write a text that will land you a study grant. Thus, the earlier you start to prepare for it, the better. Here are some practical tips on how to get ready for scholarship essay writing.
Get Yourself Familiar with the Topics
Think about the topic that you will need to cover in your essay. It is often helpful to check examples from the Internet and do research on forums or blogs of those who have already received a similar educational grant. Some of the possible questions you may encounter in scholarship essays include:
- Tell a story about yourself.
- What personal qualities will be beneficial for you in finishing your education and in your future work?
- Who or what inspires you?
- Tell us about a book or article you read that inspired you.
- Why are you seeking this scholarship opportunity?
- Why is education important for you?
- Tell us about something that you have done that has changed the place where you live for the better.
- What would you like to do to change the world for the better?
- Do you consider yourself a leader? Explain why.
- Tell us what you would suggest to improve or resolve current problems, such as health care, the economy, discrimination, or another relevant topic of your choice.
As you get to know the questions, write down the ideas of answers for further reference and inspiration. This way, when the time comes for you to write the essay, you will not have to start from scratch. It will save you time and relieve some pressure from you during the stressful moment of applying for a scholarship.
Seek Professional Help
If, after finding out the requirements of how to write a scholarship essay, you realise that you currently don’t have enough resources to fulfil them, don’t worry; it’s perfectly normal. Nowadays, the pace of life often doesn’t leave us time to concentrate on important things and devote them as much time as we would like.
Luckily, our service has everything you need to get that scholarship! We offer the assistance of expert writers that will create a personalised essay meeting all the requirements. With our team of professionals, you will no longer have to worry about how to write a scholarship essay fast – we’ve got you covered. Contact us now to get started!